Sunday, February 11, 2018

Flying high


Here’s a picture of something that you’ll never see me doing, but, putting the reasons for that aside, i’d still like to try it one day.
Health and Safety would drop dead with shock and they’d insist on a parachute being fitted to the wheelchair, one that would open automatically, as soon aa i left the plane. On the ground will be emergency support staff who will check to see that i’m still breathing when i landed. SALT will find a reason to be there - they always do!.

Stranger things have occured though, and they always will. Where would we be without the hope, that one day, they will actually become a reality? The answer is to never stop dreaming.
Who would have thought that such a simple thing as the telephone would become what it has today?. It used to be a device you used to talk into but now it’s reached a whole new level. You can take photographs with a phone, take video clips with it or even send text messages with it. The future is amazing and, so it seems, always will be.

What it means to be disabled these days, as opposed to a hundred years ago, is massive. The changes are there for all to see. Now we have electric wheelchairs with as much technology as a jumbo jet. The digital age, also called the information age, is defined as the time period starting in the 1970s with the introduction of the personal computer with subsequent technology introduced providing the ability to transfer information freely and quickly. It was the kind of change that the world had never seen and one that we wished we had been prepared for.

They ask me what i want to do. There’s very little i can do,actually. Go for a coffee? Er, no that’s not possible. Play a game of pool? I can’t stand up. Go for a walk? See the answer to the previous question. I can read a book but do very little else that would interest me.I would try sky-diving but i’m stuck in a wheelchair. I knowi it sounds like a daft thing to say but thank goodness i wasn’t disabled in the 60s.

.

10 comments:

  1. Did you know that you can find YouTube videos of just about anything, including skydiving? I know it's not the same as really doing it, but the videos are pretty cool. They actually gave me a bit of vertigo :)
    Here's one video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSi5HaJw3r4
    And here's a website with a whole lot more: https://jointheteem.com/

    I'm thankful for the medical improvements even within my lifetime. Cataract surgery and laser reattachment of the retina have helped me retain my sight. Otherwise I'd be blind by now. I hope they make the same kinds of improvements for strokes and the sooner the better. In the meantime, as you say, things are still better now than in the 60s. And you never know what's just around the corner. People are working on solutions all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I’m glad your eyesight is 👍. I know how much you like to read so it would have been a huge blow to you. I’ve seen a few clips of sky-diving already so I know how scary it can be. It hasn’t put me off though.

      Delete
  2. The future will no doubt include some amazing technological advancements, amongst other things. You're brave to even consider sky diving! I couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not brave, Martha. Standing in the same boxing ring as Mike Tyson in 1986, now that’s brave. And stupid.

      Delete
    2. Is there a story in your past about being in the ring with Tyson in 1986, Terry?? I'd love to hear it, if there is! And do you still have both your ears? :D

      Delete
    3. Hi Jenny, apparently 1986 is a time when he was most feared. Today’s world champion has said he could’ve beatenTyson when Tyson was in his prime. No he couldn’t have. He rates himself too highly. Tyson would have destroyed him.

      Delete
  3. I have no desire to go sky diving. Just around the corner from where I live here on Tamborine Mountain is the hang-gliding take-off area...I have no desire to do that, either.

    I imagine doing either must be exhilarating, but I don't have the desire to feel exhilarated that much to do so! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps when I was single and I didn’t care about my own mortality, it’s true. But now, I have the responsibility of having a family to care about, it’s different. Hi Lee, nice to see you.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, Terry, I can't picture you or anybody else coming down from a sky diving landing in a wheelchair even if the wheelchair would land on a huge air mattress. I think you would need a change of underwear, I know I would, lol.That sounds too scary to even think about it. But you still could sky dive with a professional skydiver harnessed together. Go for it.

    I've seen some Youtube videos of old ladies skydiving together with a professional skydiver. You might enjoy watching those Youtube videos even if you don't skydive. I'm too chicken to try that. Old ladies in their 80s to over 100 years old. A little crazy if you ask me as their bones would be a bit brittle.
    HUgs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, nobody knows what the future will bring. You just can’t say what will happen. I’ve seen some videos on you tube too. It’s exciting isn’t it?

      Delete

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...