Saturday, June 24, 2017

My Rickenbacker years....


I've not been disabled all of my life, but it seems like ages since i was playing bass guitar in a band. Not only does it seem like ages ago, it WAS ages ago. I was young and i followed my heart, not knowing where it would lead to. If i knew now how it would go, i wouldn't have bothered. It was a brand new Rickenbacker bass and I loved it. It gave me hours of pleasure to learn how to play with it. I was proud of owning a Rickenbacker. I had the guitar for years, but my life could and should have been so different. They say we learn from our mistakes. Over my lifetime i've made plenty of them. How different my life could have been if i hadn't.

i've always been interested in playing a musical instrument so when i brought my first guitar, a second-hand bass, for next-to-nothing i was made up. I didn't have any amplication to start off with so i had to borrow my mates until i got sorted out. Before long i had an amplifier. It was so heavy i had to transport it by taxi. I hadn't wrked that out, but you're only young once. I spent as much time as i could learning new songs to play. Iwas so consumed with playing the guitar that i didn't bother with a girlfriend for years. The guitar was my substitute girlfriend, or so i thought. What a mistake that was.

We played gigs all over Hinckley, but the desire to progress any further than we were wasn't really there. We were getting older and it wasn't as much fun as it had been. We'd had a good run though. When you're in your twenties you think you'll never grow up. But you do. Even writing my own song couldn't persuade me to carry on.. The buzz had gone when we got rid of the manager. Playing a guitar didn't seem to be exciting any more.

we went from iMmpressionable 20-something kids to interested-in-something-else kids. It was great when we started out, but things change.. i was going out with Samantha soon after. My twenties was the best time of my life. Things could have been so different though. It seems that they were thrown away as i lived an impossible dream.

10 comments:

  1. I think I liked my late twenties and thirties best. I certainly wouldn't be a teenager again for any one. My fifties have been ok too. I have hopes for the rapidly approaching next decade too.
    I am learning to accept myself, and life's challenges better.
    Which (if any) of your mistakes would you most like to be able to change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I hadn't been so obsessed with music. And cricket too. Everybody was amazed by the Australian team and I was one of them. Jeff Thomson was my hero. There were so many distractions that led us astray. If I could do it all again, everything would be different.

      Delete
    2. Dearest Terry...I think you should be happy that you had such fun in your young years. Do you think things would be different for you now if you hadn't had the fun and memories.? Most likely, things would have ended up the same. I am glad you had such fun with your music...not everyone finds something that makes them THAT happy. I say rejoice in the fact you had such a good young life...it gives you such good memories.

      Delete
    3. I suppose I learnt about Elvis, Buddy Holly and The Beatles.

      Delete
  2. I don't regret much in my life, because I figure if things had been different, I wouldn't have turned out quite the way I did. I envy anyone who can play bass guitar. It's one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of looking at it. Playing the bass was ok, but my mum was annoyed. I kept asking her "do you know what song it is yet?".

      Delete
  3. What was the name of your band Terry? My guess would be The Hosiers as Hinckley became a centre of hosiery manufacturing in the 19th century. Also you and the other members of your band would have worn hosiery over your heads when robbing shops back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't the hosiers. Nowhere near. It was The Pulsators. Not a great name, but we needed to call ourselves something fast.

      Delete
  4. I envy anyone who plays a musical instrument! I've made a promise to myself that I will learn to play the keyboard as soon as the house we moved to recently is settled. The keyboard is still packed away, so there isn't even access to it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great instrument to play I wish you luck lots of luck with it.

      Delete

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...