Friday, May 4, 2018

What doesn’t look like a potato but is still called a potato....?



The care home that i live in is full of people who can think for themselves and there are those who cannot. This is just a rough explanation of what goes on when you live here. When the people who cannot think, say stuff like “what am i doing here?”, you can only thank God you’re not like them. At least they can walk, which is one thing i can’t do, but wish i could.
The whole place here is run by an an organisation called SALT. Nobody has ever seen them but we all know they exist. SALT stands for Speech And Language Therapy. They don’t actually represent speech and language therapy, but they should. According to them, everybody here has a 0% mental capacity. Hang on a secord. That’s the same as comparing them to a potato, then.

That isn’t a very fair comparison to make. Potatoes can be useful. SALT on the other hand, cannot.
I really shouldn’t go on about them like this. It’s not fair and there are more important things to write about. For intance i saw my wife today. She’s coming up tomorrow as well. It’ll give her a sense of self-importance to read about herself like this. I can guarantee what she’ll say when she sees me: ‘Are you writing about SALT again?’ I’ll bet on it. I’ve had quite a day today. I’ve been to the doctor’s and, like i explain to everyone, i’m a disabled man who can’t speak. It’s a very lonely life. I can express myself on here. That’s about it.

Things just changed overnight for me. Anybody who is put in my place would tell you how tough it is but you just have to get on with it. That’s easier said than done. Not everybody can live in a world of assumption rather than a world where proof of guilt is the norm. It’s hard to do. When you can’t talk it’s impossible. As far as i’m concerned assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. I can’t eat white bread because if i do i will fall asleep, choke and die. That’s the assumption. The fact is that in over five years of eating toast i’ve never fallen asleep. They don’t rely on fact. They rely on assumption.

Like SALT’s guidbook of ‘how to deal with everyone’ Nobody is given a chance. Everybody is treated like a potato. We don’t look like one but we get treated like one. That’s the harsh reality we face. Potatoes are useful. They can be mashed, boiled in water, roasted, baked or made into chips. SALT, on the otherhand, are not useful







16 comments:

  1. Nobody ever sees SALT? Surely a stroke victim would "see" SALT when working with speech and language therapists. It is those professional people who should be making sensible decisions on behalf of SALT - whilst working with stroke victims, not against them. When is the last time that a qualified speech and language therapist came to see you and investigate your needs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to your question is NEVER.i have been told that they have taken my rights away. I don’t agree with them and have been told that I can’t dispute the recent court case.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The harsh reality for me, Rain, is that i’ve given up on everything I thought would win the court case..

      Delete
  3. Potatoes are VERY useful. And delicious. SALT sounds like neither!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SALT are not. They cause me so much strife and sit where they know I can’t communicate with them.

      Delete
  4. Echoing jenny_o. And everyone else. We have largely eliminated salt from our diet - and how I wish you could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi EC, i’d Llove to eliminate SALT. I don’t know why they don’t fuck off and do speech or something .

      Delete
  5. Unbelievable re the SALT "people"....but on the positive side...on the good side...you sure do know how to express yourself through the written/typed word, Terry....so keep writing. Keep telling the stories...keep writing down your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Lee.. i’ll keep writing posts. Whether anyone will read them or not is another story. I hope so.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like they're worried about liability. The rules sound much too harsh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, Martha. They DO allow me to breathe though. It’s a small consolation to make. They don’t care about me and gibing my human rights, they just worry about finances.

      Delete
  7. Keep writing Terry!! Stupid SALT, they suffer from the arrogance of the able

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie I never used to be disabled but now I am. I see things how someone disabled would. It’s not fair how my human rights can be taken away from me and i don’t have a say in the matter. Just because you’re disabled it doesn’t mean that you haven’t got any rights.

      Delete
  8. What in the world? What a horrific situation to be in and for an organization to not be visible, but still make life decisions sounds crazy to me. Like everyone else here, I sure wish you could eliminate SALT from your diet. This is quite upsetting to me! Many hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RO, they won’t tell me why I cannot eat ice cream. They jus say “I’m not getting into this argument”
      What argument?

      Delete

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...