Monday, April 23, 2018

The London Marathon....


yesterday was the London marathon. 40,000 runners were in competition on what turned out to be the hottest day of the year. The queen started the race from Windsor and people were made to be aware of the heat situation they faced. Despite that, Mo Farrah finished the race in third position. I’m not sure why he was running although he probably thought he could win it. Maybe he has some other explanation. I’ve got a mental image of him knocking on people’s doors and asking for their sponsorship. It’s a great image to have but i doubt there’s any truth in it.

i’m sure there’s a great sense of cameraderie among the masses of people who ran yesterday. They were running for reasons best known to themselves but only a fool would doubt their commitment. It’s something very personal and you have to admire them for that. To run in this weather saps the energy but takes real determination. Anything i’ve ever accomplished in my lifetime can only pale into insignification when i see how much they push themselves. The pain they go through is immense.
It’s always the feet that take the most punishment. They always do. I still remember even though it’s been a long time. You never forget. It’s like riding a bike.

Every runner wishes they were as good as Mo Farrah. We can all dream though. The important thing is to make a difference in the life of people. Sue Thould and her family have done it this weekend without even knowing they’ve done it. Even though i can’t walk i wish i could because i’d like to try the London marathon next year. It’d be hard. Nothing is worth having unless you have to earn it. I’m sure i could give that Farrah chap a run for his money.

My disability prevents me from competing but i’d have to be at the top of my game to run in that heat. That and a lot of training should do the trick. I’ve run to Nuneaton and back home again which is about 10 miles. That run was at night. No heatwave there then. I just need an alsation to chase me. All 26 miles. Thank goodness for the Sues of this world. What would we do without them to inspire us?

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...