Sunday, January 28, 2018

Addiction....


The last few days have been the worst of my life. I really know how a drug addict feels now to want something so badly and not get it. I could give in to my cravings and have some sugar but i’m determined not to. Life would be so much easier if i did but so much is at stake here. I’ve felt pain before, something not everybody experiences, and though it now hurts so badly i’m prepared to go on. This is what you have to go through to get rid of so much addiction. It’s not surprising that so many people fail. The amount of pressure I’m under to break free is tearing me apart.

Anyone who goes through this has my total respect. Giving up smoking was bloody hard but doing it one day at a time is the only way. Today is day 11 for me but i know that Kylie has been doing it longer. Apparently it will get easier as time goes on and i can only hope that it does. I look on the internet and find this;

.If you have an addiction, you're not alone. According to the charity Action on Addiction, one in three of us are addicted to something.

Addiction is defined as not having control over doing, taking or using something to the point where it could be harmful to you.
Addiction is most commonly associated with gambling, drugs, alcohol and nicotine, but it's possible to be addicted to just about anything, including:
work – workaholics are obsessed with their work to the extent that they suffer physical exhaustion. If your relationship, family and social life are suffering and you never take holidays, you may be a work addict.
internet – as computer and mobile phone use has increased, so too have computer and internet addictions. People may spend hours each day and night surfing the internet or gaming while neglecting other aspects of their lives.
solvents – volatile substance abuse is when you inhale substances such as glue, aerosols, petrol or lighter fuel to give you a feeling of intoxication. Solvent abuse can be fatal.
shopping – shopping becomes an addiction when you buy things you don't need or want to achieve a buzz. This is quickly followed by feelings of guilt, shame or despair.
What causes addictions?
There are lots of reasons why addictions begin. In the case of drugs, alcohol and nicotine, these substances affect the way you feel, both physically and mentally. These feelings can be enjoyable and create a powerful urge to use the substances again.
Gambling may result in a similar mental "high" after a win, followed by a strong urge to try again and recreate that feeling. This can develop into a habit that becomes very hard to stop.
Being addicted to something means that not having it causes withdrawal symptoms, or a "come down". Because this can be unpleasant, it's easier to carry on having or doing what you crave, and so the cycle continues.
Often, an addiction gets out of control because you need more and more to satisfy a craving and achieve the "high".

16 comments:

  1. Hey Terry!
    Hang in there. I'm on day 18 and my normal banana smoothie seemed extra sweet today so maybe I'm losing the taste for it?
    I decided to do grain and sugar free for six weeks but I'm not sure what to do after that. It seems unsociable and extreme to give up sugar forever and there are a lot of foods I would miss. Right now I get t here by reminding myself it's temporary but I know that if I start back with sugar I'll eat it every day.
    I think it's extra hard for you because of the depression

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ve done really well. I know how hard it is to give up for 10 days. It’s murder. Giving up alcohol must be really hard for the system. I’d hate to try it. I don’t know if I could do it.

      Delete
    2. I have always been tee total so I dont have to give up on that, thankfully :)

      Delete
    3. Well Kylie, you have gone up in my estimation.
      Why we give kids so many sugared drinks and sweets to eat is a crazy thing to do. That much I know. It’s no wonder how hyped up they can get. Well done to the schools for recognising it. If I was PM i’d Ban kids from having sugar and make them exercise more.

      Delete
    4. Sorry to brag, and yes I know people suffer at such times, but I gave up smoking one day and resolved never to touch the weed again. At the same time I heeded warnings that I would eat more and crave sweet things, so I gave up sugar as well. That was in 1988 and I honestly never touched a cigarette again. I guess it's all about willpower and resolution.

      Delete
  2. I've known many addicts in my life, and you're right, it's a difficult disease to conquer. Super proud of you for hanging in there,,and I can totally relate with the sugar thing. Very rough. I remember years ago being so shocked to hear that Gladys Knight was addicted to gambling, and had lost nearly everything, but she did get her life back. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ro and thanks. I was sweating last night. It was like a fever and iground my teeth so hard. I’m hoping that tonight is better than last night because if it isn’t I don’t know if i can cope.

      Delete
  3. Well done Valerie, Addiction to anything can be so hard to live with. It’s something you have to battle with. Often alone. I’m determined to beat it though and start living a sugar-free life. Whatever ittakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up Terry!! You're doing a great thing for yourself! I would only give up sugar if I was forced to...same with cheese and wine. I sure hope that day never comes because I won't be very pleasant to be around that's for sure. I think you're doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rain, I know you’ve pushed yourself before. I’m an admirer of anyone who does. I’ll keep on going and take whatever comes. There are a lot of addicts who give in. I don’t blame those who do. It’s not for me to judge them.

      Delete
  5. I think you're doing great. And I know it's not easy! You should take pride in that. Keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha and thanks. It’s definitely not easy to stop an addiction. Kylie is leading the way.

      Delete
  6. You have my deep admiration, Terry (and Kylie, too!). I don't know if I could give up sugar. There are so many things I can't eat already; it feels like it would be just too much to take. It would undoubtedly be good for me, though, and would definitely help with my weight loss objectives. So at least I'm beginning to think about it. Maybe that's the first step to doing it.

    Hang in there, my friend - they say it takes three weeks to establish a new habit. Maybe that will be true for the no-sugar habit as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I’m not doing the diet to score points. I really am a sugar addict. Hopefully no more. Tomorrow will be my 12th day without sugar. I know it’s like shutting the door after the horse has bolted and there are many things i’d do differently if I could but hopefullyi’ll do something right if I try long enough. I have an advantage over most people in that I don’t have a ‘life’ so i’m able to do these things and not worry about anything else. Living a proper life is very different and awkward to do. I understand how that is. I’m not trying to say i’m better than anyone because i’m not. Far from it. I’ve made loads of mistakes which I regret doing.

      Delete
  7. Way to go Treey, you're on your way to conquer the sugar addiction. It's not easy, that I know. I used to give it up for Lent every year before I knew it was bad for our memory , especially as we age. My husband is a sugar addict and he knows it's very bad for him but that's his weakness... he has so much control on a lot of things that I'm not as strong on, except sugar. Me on the other hand I can go without sugar although I occasionally have some. I like a nice glass or two of dry red wine every evening just to unwind. He's not a wine drinker... I eat my cereal without sugar but I add raisins instead. There are ways to get your sweet without adding the white sugar.

    Good luck with this. I think you're doing great.
    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia, thanks. The benefits are so much better than I imagined them to be I think the bad effects of sugar are starting to wear off but by bit. I had no idea how bad sugar addiction was but to ignore it when you’re faced with the factsis so irresponsible. It really makes a difference.it’s just as bad as smoking and really builds up over time. It’s the best advice I can give anyone and I wished i’d been more aware of the harm it can do. It really is a poison we should steer clear of. Hopefully it’s not too late. I think the stroke I have is due to the high intake I was having. It nearly cost me my life. I really believe that.

    ReplyDelete

I don’t know a lot of things and my memory has seen better times.  We can’t know everything that is going to happen, but everything does fo...